If only it was as easy as asking Alexa.
Losing weight can be a challenging task, and while many of us start our weight loss journey with the best intentions, we often make common mistakes that hinder our progress. These mistakes can make it difficult to achieve the results you desire and can even lead to frustration and disappointment so I have highlighted here 10 common weight loss mistakes to avoid, and what to do instead.
1. Skipping meals: Many people think that skipping meals is an effective way to lose weight, but it can have the opposite effect. When you skip a meal, you are more likely to overeat at your next meal, and your body may also slow down your metabolism to conserve energy.
What can you do instead? Instead, try to eat smarter at the meals you have. Each meal should have a protein, fat and fiber. By including protein, fat, and fiber in each meal, you can create a balanced and nutritious meal that supports your overall health and well-being. This can also help to prevent blood sugar spikes and crashes, which can lead to cravings and overeating. When planning your meals, aim to include a variety of nutrient-dense foods from each food group to ensure that you are getting all of the essential nutrients that your body needs.
2. Relying on fad diets: Fad diets may promise quick results, but they are often unsustainable and can even be harmful to your health. If you try Whole 30 or Optavia for 2-3 months, but without changes to your daily habits, you will return to your regular weight, you will have reset your bodies homeostasis set point AND you might even gain more weight back.
What can you do instead? Instead, focus on making long-term lifestyle changes that are sustainable and healthy.
3. Not drinking enough water : Drinking enough water is essential for weight loss because it helps to flush out toxins and aids in digestion.
What can you do instead? Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, and more if you are physically active.
4. Not getting enough sleep: If you think sleep does not matter, I am here to tell you that sleep plays a critical role in weight loss because it helps to regulate hormones that control hunger and metabolism. If you are sleep deprived, the hormones that tell you you are full do not work as well! The ones that tell you you are hungry work overtime! Recipe for disaster.
What can you do instead? Aim to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night to support your weight loss efforts. Start by getting into bed 10 minutes earlier this week and another 10 minutes earlier next week. Find that sweet spot!
5. Eating too many processed foods: Processed foods are often high in calories, sugar, and unhealthy fats, and can make it difficult to lose weight. Processed foods are full of ingredients that are not actually food.
What can you do instead? Instead, focus on eating whole, nutrient- dense foods like fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
6. Overestimating calorie burn: Many people overestimate the number of calories they burn during exercise, which can lead to overeating and hinder weight loss progress. This is a big one. Most people look at their Apple Watch after a workout and say ‘I burned 500 calories and then proceed to EAT more calories. Overestimating the number of calories burned during physical activity can be detrimental to weight loss efforts because it can lead to a calorie surplus, which means consuming more calories than the body needs. When the body consumes more calories than it needs, the excess calories are stored as fat, which can lead to weight gain or hinder weight loss progress.
What can you do instead? While tracking your calorie expenditure can be helpful for weight loss, it's also important to focus on the quality and intensity of your workouts and to follow a healthy diet plan. Consistency, effort, and a holistic approach to health and wellness are key to achieving sustainable weight loss results.
7. Not tracking progress: Tracking your progress is important for staying motivated and making adjustments as needed. Only as you track progress can you assess what is working and what is not working.
What can you do instead? Keep track of your weight, measurements, and fitness progress to stay on track and make adjustments as needed.
8. Eating too quickly: Eating too quickly can lead to overeating because it takes time for your brain to register that you are full.
What can you do instead? Try to eat slowly and mindfully, savoring each bite and paying attention to your body's signals of fullness.
9. Relying solely on exercise: While exercise is important for weight loss, it is not the only factor. You cannot out exercise a poor diet.
What can you do instead? In addition to exercise, Diet, sleep, and stress management, play critical roles in weight loss. Focus on a holistic approach that addresses all aspects of your health.
10. Not seeking support: Losing weight can be challenging, and it is important to seek support from friends, family, or a professional (like me!).
What can you do instead? Working with a coach will help you stay motivated and accountable.
Avoiding these common weight loss mistakes can help you achieve your weight loss goals and improve your overall health.
Focus on sustainable lifestyle changes, eat a nutrient-dense diet, exercise regularly, get enough sleep, and seek support as needed. With patience, perseverance, and the right strategies, you can achieve your weight loss goals and live a healthier, happier life.