Tis the season! The season of travel and vacations and drinks galore! I have just gotten back from a vacation (first in two years) to the Bahamas and I know that my number one #rule is #consistency! You might be wondering, how is someone supposed to travel and eat and drink AND stay on track? It is about one thing, #balance! Below are my top tips for maximizing your vacation, having fun and not gaining weight in the process.
Bring a water bottle with you everywhere! I never go anywhere without my Contigo water bottle. FUN FACT: depending on your water bottle you can fill it with ice, take it through security and then fill it with water on the other side at a fountain. JUST ICE, but it works every time. PLUS, if you are staying at a hotel, there are usually ice makers on every floor (or every other floor). Fill it with ice in the morning and keep topping up as you go throughout the day. Bring a water bottle, drink the water throughout the day! Drink before you are thirsty!
Try to get a workout in! I have a perfect #bodyweightonly workout for you that you can get done in under 30 minutes.
- 45 seconds of air squats
- 45 seconds of hand release push ups
-45 seconds of standing swings (no weight needed)
- 45 seconds CORE of choice
- 45 seconds of Burpees or Cardio of Choice
- 1 minute recovery, repeat 4-6x
3. Balance your Meals! Have the burger for lunch, and then a salad for dinner or vice versa. If you have the choice of a buffet breakfast, make sure a good portion of your plate is fruit. If you have pizza for a meal, can you add a small side salad? Want the ice cream? Get the ice cream with your family, but do you really need a medium with extra jimmies in a cone? What about luxuriating in the most decadent salted caramel and enjoying every bite?
4. Play with your kids: On our trip, we had a water park at the resort, I got my steps in just going up the stairs to the slides and rides, and my kids were happy because I was playing with them! Earn NEAT calories (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) is the energy expended for everything we do that is not sleeping, eating or sports-like exercise. It ranges from the energy expended walking to work, typing, performing yard work, undertaking agricultural tasks and fidgeting.
These recommendations are simple, but you have to want to stay on track!
BONUS TIP: wear sunscreen and re-apply! No one wants a sun burn, it is not good for your skin and can really ruin a great trip!
Enjoy your trip!!